« Brrrrrrrr | Main | Three Poems »

Vegetables

'We have indeed advanced, thanks to the Machine,' repeated the attendant, and hid the Himalayas behind a metal blind.

She repeated, 'No ideas here,' and hid Greece behind a metal blind.

This story made me think a lot. I really believe the world will come to this someday, and the idea of never touching people or loving others or talking to people face to face makes me sick.

Although their technology was so advanced, I felt so sorry for them. They did not know love, envy, true happiness, or what their own children were really like. They did not leave those stupid cubicles or experience anything life has to offer. In my Philosophy class today we talked about what humans need in order to achieve happiness. Nutrition, reproduction, society, movement, and REASON were things human beings needed compared to plants and animals who really only need nutrition. We need REASON in order to define our life. Those people in the story simply ate, bathed, and gave or heard lectures every single day of their lives. That is pathetic. They are nothing but vegetables. Why would anyone want to ban emotion, or even pain?

I did not understand why everyone was always looking for "ideas" everywhere. Ideas for what? In the above quote when Vashti closes the metal blinds over an aerial view of Greece is sickening. I can't imagine how beautiful that scene must have been. How could human beings become so advanced they are untouched by beauty?

Posted by AmandaNichols at February 7, 2006 10:03 PM

I agree totally, Amanda. I thought that not living their life to the fullest and just living in their hexagonal room was kind of... well, like you said, pathetic.

Also like you said there is so much beauty in the world that I don't understand how they just shut themself off from it and don't get any ideas or images in their head. There is so much out there in the world and they don't get ideas from it. This makes me wonder how long they were not seeing the earth as it is. If this is how the world gets eventually I am kind of scared

Posted by: Danielle Meyer at February 8, 2006 8:51 AM