« Eats, Shoots & Leaves 3 | Main | Haddon, first half »

March 14, 2006

Bowers

Article: Bowers -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I tried posting this Sunday, but the blogs were down before my flight left. Sorry I'm posting it so late!

“But Cleopatra craves personal allegiance which she interprets as political, and her strategy of emotive reversal is simplistic: “If you find him sad/ Say I am dancing; If in mirth report/ That I am sudden sick. (1.3.3-5)

I like how Bowers explains in the above line about Cleopatra’s political ruling style. When I read that part, I kind of just shrugged it off as just her being her deceitful, snobby self, but Bowers is saying that just by saying that line she is actually powering over Antony.

I also liked this part:

Antony considers himself to be in a ‘fight’, the single object of which is to destroy the opponent. He thus leaves Cleopatra to ‘engage’ his competitor only to be cleverly aligned, engaged, and married to his competitor – a situation personally and politically intolerable to Cleopatra.

I really liked how Bowers says Antony and Cleopatra aren’t lovers, but competitors. When I think back on the play, there really are times when the two of them seem to compete rather than think about each other’s well being.

“All’s fair in love and war”, the cliché holds, and Cleopatra knows it just as Caesar does, even if Antony would rather not think about it.

That cliché is so true in this place. I think that line is so powerful and can pretty much sum up the entire play, since the two major themes in the play seem to be both love and war. I also think Bower’s above line really shows just how weak Antony is. Caesar and Cleopatra really are the two strongest characters in the play.

Posted by AmandaNichols at March 14, 2006 10:13 PM