« Foster (21 & 25) | Main | Cutting a Dash »

April 09, 2006

Cutting a Dash --

Discuss Readings -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

Once again, Truss introduces this chapter with more of her humor about some twisted version of A Christmas Carol involving different life-size punction marks. Haha, this made me laugh and caught my attention making me want to read on.

Ths chapter seemed a bit more dry than her others we've read, but I still enjoyed reading what she had to say.

On page 137, I laughed out loud when I read this:

"...and I can attest there is only one thing more mortifying than having an exclamation mark removed by an editor: an exclamation mark added in."

Haha. I think that is so true. I guess I related to it because someday I'm going to be sending things to and editor, and would be pretty embarrassed if that ever happened to me.

Also, on page 141, I learned something new about indirect quotations in the example Truss gave:

"What was the point of all this sudden interest in Brussels, he wondered."

Deciding whether or not to include a question mark there has always puzzled me, and although I've always done it the way Truss says is correct, I hadn't known for sure until I read this.

On page 154 Truss points out that "when only a fragment of speech is being quoted, put punctuation outside the inverted commas." I had no idea this is what we're supposed to do. Now that I think about it, I think I've always just included the punctuation inside the quotations.

Random question: Did anyone get the joke about Americans at the bottom of 155?

On page 162, I liked the example Truss gave about Oliver Wendell Holmes: "One has to dismount from an idea and get into the saddle again, at every parentheses." I think that is so true and such a good way of explaining when to use parenthesis and when not to.

I think Truss had a lot of good examples in here that made me learn new things and understand old ones better.

Posted by AmandaNichols at April 9, 2006 02:41 PM

Hahaha, yes I got the joke at the bottom of page 155. That isn't the only time she makes reference to Americans. (She must really think we are stupid for changing things around.) She also pointed out that Americans are the only people who call an "Exclamation mark" an "Exclamation point." Well, EXCUSE us!!

Posted by: ElyseBranam at April 9, 2006 04:49 PM

Haha, well thanks for clearing that up for me, Elyse! I definitely felt stupid for asking, but thanks!!

Posted by: AmandaNichols at April 26, 2006 12:02 PM