« Cutting a Dash -- | Main | Diamond Age 1 »

April 09, 2006

Cutting a Dash

Truss 4 & 5 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

Once again, Truss introduces this chapter with more of her humor about some twisted version of A Christmas Carol involving different life-size punction marks. Haha, this made me laugh and caught my attention making me want to read on.

Ths chapter seemed a bit more dry than her others we've read, but I still enjoyed reading what she had to say.

On page 137, I laughed out loud when I read this:

"...and I can attest there is only one thing more mortifying than having an exclamation mark removed by an editor: an exclamation mark added in."

Haha. I think that is so true. I guess I related to it because someday I'm going to be sending things to and editor, and would be pretty embarrassed if that ever happened to me.

Also, on page 141, I learned something new about indirect quotations in the example Truss gave:

"What was the point of all this sudden interest in Brussels, he wondered."

Deciding whether or not to include a question mark there has always puzzled me, and although I've always done it the way Truss says is correct, I hadn't known for sure until I read this.

On page 154 Truss points out that "when only a fragment of speech is being quoted, put punctuation outside the inverted commas." I had no idea this is what we're supposed to do. Now that I think about it, I think I've always just included the punctuation inside the quotations.

Random question: Did anyone get the joke about Americans at the bottom of 155?

On page 162, I liked the example Truss gave about Oliver Wendell Holmes: "One has to dismount from an idea and get into the saddle again, at every parentheses." I think that is so true and such a good way of explaining when to use parenthesis and when not to.

I think Truss had a lot of good examples in here that made me learn new things and understand old ones better.

Posted by AmandaNichols at April 9, 2006 09:19 PM

Amanda, I agree with the quote about nothing can be more embarrasing than adding an exclamation mark in. I as well will be humiliated if that happens to me.

I didn't get the American joke.

I also love the quote that he used about using parenthesis. It's like addign another thought into a sentence already written. It's hard sometimes to read a story when there are parenthesis everywhere. It takes me off track.

I also agree with the chapters being dry.

Posted by: Danielle Meyer at April 10, 2006 12:18 PM