« Bowers | Main | Haddon, second half »

April 02, 2006

Haddon, first half

Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time 1 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I'm glad this was assigned again because I don't think I would have found time to read it a second time. I aboslutely loved this book last summer when us freshman were assigned it, and started and finished it during a plane ride to San Diego.

I think what makes me so interested in this book is that I've never read anything like it before. Also, I love how it is in Christopher's point of view, which puts the reader right in his place and knows exactly how he's feeling, which is obviously very diffiuclt to understand if we were an outward viewer. I admire Haddon for being able to write such a novel, partly because I have a difficult time writing about something I've never expereinced myself. Because of Christopher's constant switching of ideas throughought the chapters, the book really kept me interested. I never knew what he was going to say next.

I said, "But it wasn't an accident."
And father said, "Chirstopher, please."

I really give a lot of credit to Christopher's father. I can't even imagine having to care for a child like that, and really don't think I could do it. The fact that they never hug would kill me, but I admire his father for being able to do so.

Also, I love Christopher's pet rat, Toby, in the book. I don't really know why, ha. I just think it's such a random animal. Why couldn't he have a dog, cat, or something else semi-normal (my apologies to all you rat owners out there)? I think it's neat how much Christopher cares about Toby. Sometimes I wondered if he loved that rat more than he loved his own father.

I hope everyone is enjoying reading this!

Posted by AmandaNichols at April 2, 2006 07:25 PM

I'm glad to hear you're taking the time to enjoy it the second time around. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to care for someone like Christopher, who does not want to be hugged -- that's such a basic human need. Given how Christopher's father is already alone due to his wife's running away on him, he's a very sympathetic character, despite the fact that his actions do cause Christopher pain.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at April 2, 2006 07:33 PM

Amanda, I concur with you. Haddon makes the readers feel as if they are right there in the book and allows us to realize exactly what Autism is. Being the parent of an autistic child would definately be tough because the child never really knows how to express him/herself and can't read how others are feeling. Christopher seems to be such a sweet character in this book. It's hard not to dislike him because he seems so genuine.

Posted by: ElyseBranam at April 3, 2006 09:57 AM

The hugging part really touched me too. I know his dad's not perfect, but I think he must have done something right with Christopher because he's so smart and seems to be getting better socially as the book goes on. I think the dog is actually giving him some motivation. I really enjoy the little details he notices like what his dad smells like and the police officer's nosehairs.

Posted by: Erin at April 3, 2006 01:53 PM

Elyse: I think "genuine" describes Christopher perfectly. He lets us know early on that he cannot lie, so we automatically know everything that CHristopher describes throughouth the novel is in fact true, which is not something that a lot of other books can do.

Erin: Haha, yes, the police officer's nosehairs was funny. I love details!

Posted by: AmandaNichols at April 26, 2006 12:00 PM