« Haddon, first half | Main | Resurrection Blues 1 »

April 05, 2006

Haddon, second half

Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time 2 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I once saw a TV show where an adult male who was married with kids was in a car accident and the type of brain damage he received from the crash disabled him to feel emotion. I just remember his wife crying on this Discovery Channel show about how he wanted to leave his family because he felt nothing for them and thought he was being a burden, but she wouldn't let him. And I always think about that couple and try to imagine what it would be like to lose someone in that way. I think it would definitely be worse than death. The man reminds me a lot of Christopher. He is so logical in the last half of the book it's insane. There are so much different equations and formulas it's crazy. On page 136, Christopher makes the fear equation, which I thought was absoultey insane. This is a perfect example of just how differently Christopher handles his emotions. When leaving for college away from home, I was scared to death, but certainly didn't map out what kind of fears I might have in an equation.

Also, I enjoyed how Christopher began his chapters. Most begin with some intriguing random sentence that makes the reader want to read on. In Chapter 181. he starts out with "I see everything." I can't believe how observant he is. "...and there were three little circles of Blu-Tack stain on the wall down the left-hand side of the poster." WOW. Who notices that kind of stuff?

I think it's that silly kind of stuff that Christopher notices that maybe replaces his emotion. He busies himself with things like a poster instead of thinking about what is happening in his life. I also liked chapter 199 about religion. I remember when I read this book for the first time I wondered if he was going to talk about religion because I thought that definitely would be interesting, and then I finally came across it. I was not surprised by Christopher's feelings about religion of God because someone as logical as him would obviously side with the scientic explanation.

I thought one of the saddest parts of the book was in Chapter 229 when Christopher describes "one of [his] favorite dreams," which was merely of him being the only one left on Earth. It really made me wonder how someone's perfect world would be living in complete solitude. Then again, Christopher did not want love or affection like I would, he wanted "no one to talk to me or touch me or ask me a question"....."and then the dream is finished and I am happy." I just thought that whole chapter was so sad. I liked the way Haddon describes the ways and how Christopher measures with a metal rule the sky and the sea knowing the earth is round. It's so weird to me that living alone is something that would make Christopher truly happy.

Posted by AmandaNichols at April 5, 2006 08:02 AM