« Haddon, second half | Main | Foster (21 & 25) »

April 07, 2006

Resurrection Blues 1

Miller, Resurrection Blues 1 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

After reading the first half of Resurrection Blues, I definitely thought this book was going to be a lot different, but I really really enjoyed it. I liked both Henri & Felix's character and thought because they seem to be so opposite the play is going to be interesting. I also liked the comedy in the play. There definitely were times when I laughed out loud. They take an extremely immoral thing - shooting commercials while someone claiming to be the son of God is dying on a cross in Italy - and put a lot of humor into it. I especially liked these lines:

Sarah. They gave him wine, you know- the Romans...
Skip. Well a little wine, but he can't look stoned. I mean we've got several million born-agains watching . Actually, I was thinking asperin...or Tylenol if he's allergic

I know it's horrible to laugh, but I just can't help it. I can't imagine what I'd do if I was supposed to film my commercial while someone is dying.

I think my favorite part of this first half of the play is the prologue. I absolutely loved Jeanine's second paragraph on the first page of the prologue, which begins with "Going out the window was a very interesting experience" and ends with "Or at least his eye, an eye seeing everything so exactly." I love how she describes everything" Passing the second floor I saw a cloud over my head the shape of a grand piano. I could almost taste that cloud."; the random Eskimo icecream bar that left choclate stains in the sidewalk, her trip to Coney Island one Sunday while attending Barnard and when she rode the loop-the-loop she "felt transparent". I love when authors describe scenes and I think Arthur Miller did a great job with this one.

I didn't really care for Death of a Salesman, and I think I'm really going to enjoy this play. I'm eager to see what happens in the second half.

Posted by AmandaNichols at April 7, 2006 09:22 AM

I think that the difference between opinions and beliefs in the play also relates a lot to the USA. How we are all so different. I think that this difference will bring a lot of good things to the second half of the play.

There is a lot of description. I knew you would like that considering you do that a lot in your papers.

Posted by: Denamarie Ercolani at April 7, 2006 11:40 PM

I wasn't really interested in this play in the beginning at all, because the Crucible was one of my most-loathed readings. The way you found humor in it made me want to read it. As a creative writer myself, I prefer the vivid descriptions. I'd like to read some of your stories. It's the vivid details that hook me to things as well.

Posted by: Erin Waite at April 10, 2006 10:26 AM

Erin! Sorry I didn't see this comment earlier =(

Yes, this play was definitely hard to get into for me as well, but I turned out really enjoying it at the end.

I'm the same with you, I LOVE vivid description. Dr. Esaias calls me a compulsive modifer or something like that, I dunno, I've always been an adjective-addict. Too bad we're not in the same critique group for WOF, but we'll have to swap some stuff anyway, I'd love to see some of your stuff, too.

Posted by: AmandaNichols at April 26, 2006 11:46 AM