« Resurrection Blues 2 | Main | Blogging Portfolio 2 »

April 23, 2006

Resurrection Blues 3

Resurrection Blues 3 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

Egh, I'm a little bit disappointed about the conclusion of the play. Maybe I'm just not getting it or looking deep enough into it, but the ending really confused me. I guess I was expecting this bigger, grander ending. I think this is the point in the play where I would have liked to seen it acted out so I could maybe understand what was going on a little better.

On page 101, I really liked Stanley's speech about them televising and advertising the town the crucifixtion happened at.

STANLEY: Tour buses bumper to bumper across the Andes to get to see his bloody drawers? Buy a souvenir fingernail, T-shirts, or one of his balls? It's a whole tax base thing, Jeanie, y'know?...

HENRI: We are living in hell.

Haha, I'm not going to lie, that last line made me laugh out loud. I could easily visualize that conversation between Stanley and Henri. I definitely agree with Henri because it's actually true that people would probably come from all around the world wanting crazy theme parks and souvenirs and expect to be entertained, so I guess those people of the town have a reason why they would want to be "picked for the crucifixtion".

Did anyone else have the same reaction about the ending of this play?

Posted by AmandaNichols at April 23, 2006 08:19 PM

Good work, Amanda. It would help me if you could point out one particular line that you found confusing, or one particular scene that you felt let you down. Maybe there's a missing detail that would help you pull the separate parts together, or maybe your classmates will hit on the same confusing/disappointing passage.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at April 23, 2006 08:27 PM

I can see what you mean Mandy. There really isn't a conclusion to the ending. At first, I felt the same way, but as I thought about it, I started to realize that there were so many different people, so many reasons, and so many different ways of thinking, and they were all brought together by one person... Jack-Ralph-Charley. I don't know, it kind of gave me some idea that these people have been affected by someone who really isn't controversial, he just is. He is being love, and being life, and being hope, and it really exposes the "bad" characteristics of people, such as greed, or power. That probably sounded like a bug bunch of mumble jumble, sorry, but that's just what I think of the play.

Posted by: Andy Lonigro at April 28, 2006 03:00 PM

No, Andy, that definitely wasn't mumble jumble. I think what disappointed me a bit was that I guess I was expecting some extravagent ending. I sort of wanted this Jack-CHrley-Raplh character to surface in the ending and say a few lines. But I can definitely understand where you're coming from about how the mysterious character smybolized so many different things. Thanks buddy!!

Posted by: AmandaNichols at April 30, 2006 03:58 PM