« Sonnet | Main | Wit 2 »

May 01, 2006

Wit 1

Edson, Wit -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I'm really enjoying this play so far. I absolutely love the character of Vivian. The audience learns very early on just how strong she is.

"Eight cycles of chemotherapy. Give me the full dose, the full does every time."

I really admire this character for being so strong after learning she has stage four of ovarian cancer. I cannot even imagine how devastated I would be if I were in her position, but Vivian is so strong about it and changes negative into positive.

One thing can be said for an eight-month course of cancer treatment: it is highly educational. I am learning to suffer."

Wow. That line really blew me away. Vivian knows there's nothing she can do about the cancer but bite the bullet and deal with it the best she can. Not once does she ever reveal any type of depressed or angry emotion towards the cancer that has taken over her body and I respect that so much. I was a bit curious about why she does not have any family visting or calling. I definitely think this is going to resurface later on during the second half of the play and I really am excited to learn why this is. Are they all dead (besides her parents) or does she simply not communicate with any of them. Also, I was wondering if she didn't have family, why doesn't she at least have friends that would care about her health? It seems like she is a very respectable professor and I can't imagine why she doesn't have any visitors.

I definitely laughed a lot during the pelvic exam part. I like Vivian's humor in this play and she really makes the situation real, and I cringed a few times thinking of what she is going through. I think I am enjoying this so much because Edson is taking an extremely serious and sad issue of cancer, and making it humorous. Vivian reminds me so much of my aunt who has had reoccurrring cancer for several years now. Like Vivian, she always seems to be smiling and laughing no matter how sick she is.

I'm curious to see how this ends.

Posted by AmandaNichols at May 1, 2006 09:41 PM

Your aunt sounds like such an amazing person. You must really admire her. I think Vivian is almost too strong and sometimes it hurts to be vulnerable, but it's good to admit your scared sometimes to get the support of your family that means so much. See definitely has a sense of humor and a good approach to making the best of her life.

Posted by: Erin Waite at May 2, 2006 08:43 PM