« Wit 1 | Main

May 01, 2006

Wit 2

Edson, Wit -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I thought there was another post for this on Friday, so I'm just posting this in two halves.

I definitely felt really sad after finishing this play. This poor woman who was such a fighter really took a drastic turn about halfway through the play. Her entire attitude changed and she almsot seemed like a different person. The cancer was taking over her and it was extremely evident.

Around page 58 was the first instance that we see Vivian as vulnerable. It is so obvious all she wants to do is have a normal conversation was someone, and all Jason could think about was whether or not there was something wrong with her. I felt so bad for the woman because it must have gotten so lonely there. Susie sort of saves the day a few pages later when her and Vivian share popsicles in the middle of the night. I really liked Susie's character here. To me, I think Vivian was most happiest at this point in the play: eating an orange popsicle with a friendly nurse. This is also when we see Vivian really lose control of her emotions. The pain must have really been intense because Vivian was such a strong character in the beginning.

It came so quikley, after taking so long. Not even time for a proper conclusion.

The conclusion of the play definitely was very fast-paced and sad. I thought Vivian was going to come back to life when the team was recesitating her while Jason and Susie were trying to tell them she was DNR. The whole scene was just tragic and upsetting. I felt Vivian really didn't have any respect shown towards her, especially when all the Code Team did was complain that the doctor called a Code on a No Code. I got really angry at them at that point because they sounded so selfish and showed no respect for someone that had just passed away.

Posted by AmandaNichols at May 1, 2006 10:15 PM

Understand that Vivian needed NOT to be revived. Why? Because of the fact that she didn't what to suffer anymore, either due to the cancer or just the mass confusion in her life. Well what could be the mass confusion? It would most likely be the fact that she is a stickler. Recititing Donne throughout the whole play....C'mon.

Posted by: Kevin "Kelo The Great" Hinton at May 2, 2006 01:18 AM

The popsicle part pulled at my emotions too, Amanda because she wants needs someone to reach out to her so much and while I think that it's great that Susie does, I wish that it was one of her family or students because it just seems so sad.

Posted by: Erin Waite at May 2, 2006 08:46 PM

The Code/No Code part is also a comment on the fact that Vivian and Susie had a discussion, and Vivian made a decision about her end-of-life status. This is not about assisted suicide, or withholding routine care. This is about her choice not to have the staff revive her, intervening in an invasive way, if she goes into cardiac arrest.

Some other commenters have noted that this is a complex play. When the climax makes you want to smack the doctors for saving the life of the heroine, you know the playwright has accomplished something significant.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at May 3, 2006 09:38 AM