« "The River"...........(Flannery O'Connor) | Main | Epiphany.....(Hamilton 98-111) »

This explains what being a teacher is all about.........(Lemire Pg. 23)

"To some of your students, whether you asked for the job or not, you are also a surrogate father or mother" (Lemire 23).

This quote has become a favorite quote for me and is something I believe to be very true as well because as a teacher, yes you are there to educate the children, but you also have to look after there well being while thye are in the school building which is like being a surrogate mother or father (depending on your gender) to them as well. Teachers are more then just professionals who pass along the required info to thier students, they are also mentors (being a motherly or fatherly figure as well).

I plan on teaching 3rd grade, and at that age, they think the world of their teachers. I dont know if any of you have ever had a talk with a 3rd grade child after school, but all they talk about is their teacher, and its always "my teacher said this" "my teacher did that" most children, especially the younger ones look up to their teachers for advice and I feel that all of this is like being a surrogate mother or father to the students you teach.

Being a teacher is great, but if you can be that teacher who teaches the students as a teacher and surrogate mother or father then you know you can really do your job.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tbasiut8dsfh.cgi/13139

Andrea, don't forget to post a link back to the course page for this reading.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on March 2, 2008 3:28 PM.

The previous post in this blog was "The River"...........(Flannery O'Connor).

The next post in this blog is Epiphany.....(Hamilton 98-111).