Intense, in the worst way possible

"I spoke automatically and with such fervor that I did not realize that the men were still talking and laughing until my dry mouth, filling up with blood from the cut, almost strangled me. I coughed, wanting to stop and go to one of the tall brass, sand-filled spittoons to relieve myself..." (30)

I went into this book not knowing what it was about at all. One of my friends told me to wait until I read chapter 1 and then text them (they had read the book before), so we could talk about how messed up it was. So I read chapter 1, and the only thing I could think to say was, "That was intense, in the worst way possible." I have no idea what the rest of the book is going to entail, but that chapter left me feeling disgusted at the absolutely degrading behaviors they make the boys take part in, and just how straightforwardly racist the people are. While Foster said to read with eyes that are not our own, reducing boys to animals and poking fun at them while doing it is something I could never agree with no matter when it happened.

Obviously this chapter is supposed to get us interested in what will happen, and make us feel horrified. Mission accomplished.

Julianne Banda said:

I agree. The first chapter caught my attention and makes me want to keep reading to see what else happens. The first chapter was so demented and disturbing that I couldn't stop reading. It's almost like when you see something gross and you can't turn away no matter how much you want to. I like how you included Foster into the blog. I also agree that there is no way I could agree with what they did to the boys.

Sue said:

I agree with Julianne, I couldn't believe what I was reading in the first chapter either but I couldn't put the book down. I think the book is still shocking me, like with the whole situation with Trueblood even though in that circumstance we aren't even dealing with race, well at least not in some ways.