Inverse

"In general, flying is freedom, we might say, freedom from not only from specific circumstances but from those more general burdens that tie us down." (Foster 127).

With all of the airports and superheroes out there, flight does not really seem that big of a deal to us anymore. I do like how some authors turn this concept upside down though. For instance, in Catch 22, the main character Yossarian is a pilot. However, he knows that every mission is possibly death, and the ground is freedom to him. While war definitely changes the rules compared to everyday life, this is still my biggest problem with Foster. I just don't like trying to give a basic outline for literature when it's obvious that someone is just going to break the rules out there somewhere. I thought maybe after not reading Foster for a couple of weeks I'd be less biased, but I guess not.

Rosalind Blair said:

I have the same sort of view on Fosters work. He gives rules and meanings for what things in books might mean - then he says that every work is different and basically one thing wont mean the same thing in two different books. I would not view every instance of flying as a form of freedom. Sometimes it is just a way to get from point A to point B for a character, and nothing else.