Nameless Theory

"A tremor passed over me; the hall was cold. Then it was gone and I squinted and took a long, hard look at my new Brotherhood name." 327

I know the fact that the narrator does not have a name has to have some significance to the story. After reading I have come up with yet another reason I think this might be. I think the narrator does not have a name because he is not one character, but he changes constantly. At the beginning and end he is a sociopath, at the "beginning" of the story he is naive, he is naive in college, then he starts to change. All of these characters is different but they all make up one individual. I feel like giving him a name would also undermine such a change, because we would think of his too much as the same person all the time. That's just my thought on the subject, does this make sense to anyone else?

Rosalind Blair said:

I think that your assessment of why the narrator does not have a name is very accurate. The narrator changes constantly because he is never able to figure out who he really is in the world. In order to find out who he really is and to no longer become changing and invisible, he must learn to really see what is around him.

Jennifer Prex said:

Yes it does. Names are so much a part of identity that it only makes sense he isn't really given one. All through out, even he questions who he is at times.

Julianne Banda said:

I understand what you mean, and agree. I talked about something similar to this in my blog as well. I also think the character needs to learn about the people and environment around him to become not so invisible, like Rosalind stated.