good intentions

OEDIPUS Well, I will start afresh and once again Make dark things clear. Right worthy the concern Of Phoebus, worthy thine too, for the dead: I also, as is meet, will lend my aid To avenge this wrong to Thebes and to the god.

I think that the readers feel even more bad for Oepipus in the end because his intentions in the beginning were so honorable. He started out with a great plan to help Thebes and he really wanted to help Thebes and wanted to be a great king. I think that people in their lives want to set out with good intentions and they want to finish their lives by meeting them. This play however goes against that. It really doesn't give people hope however it is one of the most popular plays ever written. How can that be?

You're right Andy...But giving people hope is not what drama is all about. It's about being entertained and it's about teaching something to the viewer. In some way, the viewer is reminded of something. It may be something small, like the love of a mother for her child, or to have a little faith in that one worker who's preaching to everyone, but it's something.