Are you therious?

LIMPING MAN. You're thafe, Claire. You don't need to get all worked up about who'th who or whath what. You brother hath taken you away from the bad man. Thath all you need to know. I'm gonna take care of you. From now on, it'll be nothing but eathy chairth and warm baked goodth. Okay?

How comical ith thith lithp? Haha. I think that It's very interesting that the protagonist, usually feared or a scary character is seen as defective in this play. This passage is from early in the play, in scene 5. To this point Limping Man is building up all of this intimidation. I think that's it's funny when he threaten's Gertie, by saying that he would cut her head off and bury her in the back yard. It's not funny that he threatens to kill her, but how can you take anything that this man says seriously. I mean, he says, "I thwear to God, I'll cut off your ****'n head and bury you in the back yard." It should be scary but to me, I keep imagining somebody trying to yell seriously at someone else, spraying them with the spit flying out of their mouth.

I agree with Amanda and Lorin, I really can't wait to see how the actors portray things like this in their own way.

Yeah, Andy I agree. Another thing I was just thinking about: what do you call a character like Millet? Is there a name for a character who is meant to be helping the antagonist, but in reality is such a...(I don't even know what to call him? Blundering idiot? Disturbed puppet-loving man?...maybe we should just stick with incompetent) that he ends up helping the protagonist?

Think about it, he is suppose to help the Limping Man pretty much kidnap Claire and get to Canada, but he is always giving away information to Claire on accident via his puppet. And then towards the end his is supposed to keep control of Richard and Gertie, but he is not successful. And then at the end he just abandons the whole cause (although for very understandable reasons).

I think itís funny that Millet, the crazy puppet guy who throughout the play comes across as the most likely criminal because of his creepiness, is more innocent than both Limping Man and Richard.

I agree Andy that it would be hard not to laugh if someone like Limping Man threatened me. I mean, I wouldn't be able to take that seriously. It kind of reminds me of Daffy Duck when he spit all over the place from talking lol. But hey, that's just my mind wandering again lol

Ok Andy. would you make fun of a kid in a wheelchair?? Just kidding, I did find the limping man to be an odd kind of villan. His lisp does make him less threatening.