« Not doing homework | Main | Mothers... »

Chapter 6

It Ain't Necessarily So (Ch 6 & 7) -- News Writing (EL 227)

Chapter 6 discusses how the wording of questions affects the results from surveys. So far in the book, the authors have mostly pinned mistakes in newspapers on the jornalists who don't do background research on how those stats were obtained. Sometimes the questions asked can only produce the answers that the organizations asking those questions want to hear.

In this chapter, the authors show a rare example of someone not having a bias and giving the readers a fair chance to decide for themselves. On page 101, Jeanne Allen, director of the Center for Education Reform, is quoted. Instead of only critiquing the two anti-choice polls, Allen also added that, "One can easily object that our group is biases too, since we favor school choice."

It's reassuring to see positive examples of how we as jornalists are supposed to approach controversial issues. I admire how Allen was honest to her readers and admitted her bias. I think what we read about Allen shows us how we want to tackle situations such as these.

Posted by AndrewLoNigro at October 29, 2005 08:45 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Chapter 6:

» Blog Portfolio for EL227 from Denamarie Ercolani
This is my blog portfolio for EL227(News Writing).... [Read More]

Tracked on November 9, 2005 10:02 AM

I think that this chapter will help us determine how we want to word our questions so that we wont write the story and have a totally different result from the topic. I think that a lot of the articles i see in papers with survey results are not as true and accurate as many people think; and thanks to this book, it made me realize that. We have to take into consideration how the journalists asked the question, who they asked, where they got the survey from, etc. I think this will help us with our final article.

Posted by: Denamarie at November 7, 2005 12:38 PM