« News... objective reality? | Main | Snowball effect »

Having fun

AP Guide to News Writing (Ch 11) -- News Writing (EL 227)

In chapter 11 in the A.P. Guide to newswriting, it seems as if the writer can let loose a little and express themsleves rather than just giving straight facts.

Like Chera talked about on her blog, it's a more creative style of writing which brings interest to the author and the reader. Another thing that I'm excited about is that a feature article deals with human interest. In my opinion, the most interesting things to read are stories or articles that affect other people's lives and that someone can benefit from.

This chapter also talks about the writer capturing mood and atmosphere. I think that this will be a challenge to pursue while writing my article. Another difference is the CHRONOLOGICAL APPROACH. It's not that I don't enjoy writing with the inverted pyramid, however, my natural tendancies are to write in chronological order and now we finally get a chance to do that.

The most important thing, though, as the text talks about, is making sure that you are accurate when you write a feature article. Yes it is a chance to express yourself and to charm everyone with your crative writing abilities, but we've got to make sure that what we're talking about is accurate! As Cappon says, "remember, there's no poetic or litereary license when it comes to facts. Repeat that to yourself every morning."

Posted by AndrewLoNigro at October 24, 2005 10:40 AM

Good call, Andy!

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at October 24, 2005 10:54 AM