Puppet man

| 6 Comments | No TrackBacks

POLONIUS
It shall do well. But yet do I believe
The origin and commenement of his grief
Sprung from neglected love.-How now, Ophelia?
You need not tell us what Lord Hamlet said;
We heard it all.-My lord, do as you please,
But, if you hold it fit, after the play
Let his queen-mother all alone entreat him
To show his grief. Let her be round with him;
And I'll be placed, so please you, in the ear
Of all their conference. If she find him not,
To England send him, or confine hime where
Your wisdom best shall think.

On my previous blog, I talked about how Laertes and Polonius were looking out for Ophelia. That brought up the point of how everyone thinks that Ophelia is just a puppet and has no backbone and does whatever other people tell her to. Well, this may be true, but I think that the true puppet is Polonius. We talked in class about how he is the raissioner (I think that's spelled right) in this play. It seems to me that Polonius is just looking out for the well-being of himself. He is trying to get on the good side of Claudius and really isn't taking into account Hamlet's side of the play. His death is interesting however and something even more interesting may be Hamlet's reaction himself just killing Polonius. Maybe since Polonius didn't care about Hamlet, Hamlet didn't care about Polonius.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/16829

What was Hamlet's intention when he stabbed at the figure behind the arras?

Dr. Jerz, I think that Hamlet stabbed at the arras because he thought it was the king hiding behind it. He didn't realize that it was Polonius, and when Gertrude asks him, "O me, what hast thou done?" Hamlet replies, "Nay I know not. Is it the king?" So he obviously was hoping that it was Claudius.

In my blog above I talked about Hamlet's reaction to himself stabbing Polonius. After he does it, the queen, in shock, says "Oh what a rash and bloody deed this is!" Hamlet's next line leads me to believe that he didn't really care that he just stabbed Polonius. He said, "A bloody deed-almost as bad as kill a king and marry with his brother."

He was more interested in putting guilt on Gertrude and making his point that he completely looked over himself murdering Polonius. I think that this part could support the opinion of Hamlet really being mad.

No, I don't think that Hamlet cared about Polonius either. Mainly because of the fact that he has too many other things to worry about. When he killed Polonius, he thought that he was killing Claudius. So his reaction after he realized that it wasn't Claudius that he killed does show that he does not care about Polonius.

Andy, I was thinking of you, and this agenda item, when I blogged this:

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/weblog/permalink.jsp?id=3802

I agree with andy about how polonius in this play was a puppet himself. the only reason he was there in the room where hamlet was is because claudius told him to be there. Other wise he would not of been murdered. That is why his death is a tragic one in this play.

Andy, I can see where you're coming from. Its like you said, if hes trying to get on the good side of Polonius and not even try to bother with Hamlets part then I don't think that Hamlet will care for him. That is probably why he didn't care that he killed him.