« A Change of Heart | Main | Roberto Clemente »

Come here woman!

Wilson, Fences -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

TROY Rose, you're not listening to me. I'm trying the best I can to explain it to you. It's not easy for me to admit that I been standing in the same place for eighteen years.

ROSE I been standing with you! I been right here with you, Troy. I got a life too. I gave eighteen years of my life to stand in the same spot with you. Don't you think I ever wanted other things? Don't you think I had dreams and hopes? What about my life? What about me. Don't you think it ever crossed my mind to want to know other men? That I wanted to lay up somewhere and forget about my responsibilities? That I wanted someone to make me laugh so I could feel good? You not the only one who's got wants and needs. But, I held on to you, Troy. I took all my feelings, my wants and needs, my dreams...and I buried them inside you.

Wow! I know this is a long quote but I think it's so important to show the characteristics of this "woman" that Troy often refers to her as. Rose is as Kayla Sawyer said on her blog, "a selfless and amazing character." To me it's incomprehensible. How can someone devote their whole being to someone else like that. Well actually, I feel when you enter into marriage, that's exactly what you're supposed to do.

Troy married Rose and started a new life. However he held onto everything from his past. Rose chose to be with him knowing that she was going to have to change. Marriage isn't and agreement between two people who still want to live their own lives. It's something that two people share. They work together, they laugh together, they cry together. They deal with problems together and devote themselves to one another. A husband and a wife have to compromise things. They need to sometimes bite their tounge and swallow their pride. It's a constant learning experience in which Troy shows that he's learned nothing.

For someone like Rose to have enough gull to deal with her husband having a baby to another woman, is unreal! The quote above is my favorite, especially the last two lines. Troy is only worrying about himself. He's not looking at their marriage as a two way street. Rose has so much compassion on the other hand. She says that she held onto Troy. "I took all my feelings, my wants and my dreams...and I buried them inside you." That line really touches me. There's something special about it that makes the readers finally feel like Troy has really let her down. I think we finally feel that Rose is the protagonist in this play. She holds everything together the whole way to the last scene. At the end of her speech with Troy that I've quoted above. Troy really has no argument back to her so he resorts to physical violence. This passage really shows how hard headed Troy is as well.

Rose is so different from any of the other characters we've read about so far. Nora from "A Doll's House" and Helen from "Machinal" both were in marriage for some other reason. They were looking to get something for themselves. Rose seems to be very down to earth compared to them. Ophelia from "Hamlet" has no back bone at all. Rose stands up to her husband many times throughout the play and he listens to her.

Posted by AndrewLoNigro at November 13, 2005 01:54 PM