Confusing Bernhardi's intentions

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

Opinion on class discussion Fri. Nov. 18,2005 - Prof. Bernhardi (Finish)

I really enjoyed the discussion that we had in class today about Bernhardi and the Priest. I think that the part of the discussion that really started to form a debat was when the topic of Bernhardi being arrogant arose. Chera and Gina seemed to have opposing arguments and to recap quickly: Gina felt that she really like Bernhardi's character and that he didn't back down from anyone. Chera seemed to side with the Priest's character and how he did a good job of being equal and forgiving. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I didn't get much time to comment on this subject but I really feel strongly about it. This blog kind of gives me a chance to express some of my beliefs about life, so it you don't want to hear them, leave now.

First of all, not to gang up on Chera or anything, I agree with Gina. I feel that Bernhardi is a strong individual and that he has good morals. No he may not be a Catholic or even practice his Jewish beliefs but he still has morals. Many people confuse his, kind of, emotionless personality, with that of arrogance.

As a conservative, I feel that some people are saying that Bernhardi should change and try to please the people. They think that he sould make an attempt to appologize or even compromise with his opposition to try to make peace. They feel that Bernhardi is taking things too seriously and that he needs to adapt with the changes in society, as the Priest does by forgiving Bernhardi at the end of their arguement. They want Bernhardi to be more like the Priest.

Well folks, he's not the Priest. Bernhardi has strong beliefs in what he feels is morally right and what he knows. I don't think that some of us realize how hard it actually was for Bernhardi. He had to hold strong to his beliefs without wavering in spite of society turning against him. And for him to do that without letting the forces of society change him, I think that is a very admirable character.

The Priest to me doesn't seem as strong of a person. Yes, he did forgive Bernhardi, but why did he have to forgive him. Is the Priest God? Is he right? Is whatever he says the way it is? No, and since people take for granted that the Priest should forgive Bernhardi, I don't understand what Bernhardi did wrong? Okay, he practiced his belief of letting the woman die in a peaceful frame of mind. Sorry folks but that's not wrong. Yes, it's wrong to the Catholic church and the Catholic beliefs. But there are other religions out there. There are many different religions that have very strong values and actually in the principles of Catholic social teaching, The Principle of Human Dignity, "Every human being is created in the image of God and redeemed by Jesus Christ, and therefore is valuable and worthy of respect as a member of the human family."

In my opinion, the characteristics that Bernhardi shows are integral to be successful in society. People always gang up on someone that sticks up for themselves. However, without that trait, one can never excel in life. What I admire about Bernhardi is his ability to not let people affect him. He doesn't care what other's think about his decision. There's something inside of him, like a knowing, that he did what he believed and did the right thing. No one can take that away from him. Whether the try to make him feel guilty, or wrong.

I want to have that about me. I don't care about what people say. If they want talk bad about me behing my back, then go right ahead. What do i care? They're not hurting me in anyway. All they do is get caught up in gossip and other things like that. I feel that Bernhardi is really a model of how to put your priority first and let whatever happens around you happen. But God will always work things out for you in the end.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/16903

Andy,

Good thoughts on the fact that people felt as though Bernhardi should be kowtowing to the world. You're on scope with what you said about him having difficult decisions to make. Imagine having to face so many opposing forces at once. Good points.