Who do you trust?

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

"An anchor-man, Walter Cronkite, was considered the most trusted person in America. Yet this was an era when news divisions of the major networks lost money but were nevertheless seen as the crown jewels for their prestige, fulfilling a longstanding (and now all but discarded) mandate to perform a public service function in their communities."

Gillmor brings out an interesting point here when he brings up the question, "Can America trust their anochormen and women?" Though I was not alive during the 60's and 70's, Gillmor says that America trusted Walter Cronkite as their main informer. Is this good or bad? Should America trust these journalists? Especially after the incident with Dan Rather, I'm not sure if we can. As we've been learning in our EL 227 people should always be skeptical of what they hear and read. It should be that they can believe it, but in modern times, as Gillmor continues to discuss in the reading, journalism is becoming more of a monopoly and a money making scheme than it should be. It's purpose should be to inform and update, however, we've lost sight of those objectives.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/16901

Andrew,, I completely agree with you- we have lost sight of what journalists are supposed to accomplish. It seems like all of the highly respected journalists are fading out, mostly because of old age I think.

It's going to take a while for the new wave of journalists to earn out trust. I just wonder who the next Barbara Walters will be, haha. =)

It's sad, I think we pay much more attention to the tabloids now than publications such as Time, for example. I think we've jumbled our view as to what's really important to us, unless the status of Nick and Jessica's marraige is really more important to us than what's going on in Iraq (just another example).

Sad, isn't it?