Reading between the lines

| 3 Comments | No TrackBacks

Foster (selections)

The reading was very interesting and really opened my eyes to the difference between reading material and anylizing material. What I find amazing from chapter 5 is how every story line is pretty much recycled material from somewhere else. I can really see the point that Foster is trying to make when he uses the Pocahontas or Sacajewea example. With this he proves that an author can make a reader picture a certain character a certain way.

"He's hoping that your mind will associate Sarkin Aung Wan consiously or unconsiously with Sacajawea, thereby not only creating her personality and impact but also establishing the nature and depth of Paul Berlin's need."

It seems that I've never stopped to actually think about where stories come from until now. When you think about it, one can only write about what they've experienced personally whether it be in his or her mind or in an actual physical experience.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/17181

I know isn't it weird how they all tie in with one another. We noticed that in Drama as Lit. last semester when almost story dealt with almost the same problem. I think that every piece of literature ends up to deal with the same thing. If we took every book in literature, it would be pretty cool to see where they all link together.

I agree, look at most of the horror stories that are out there. The monsters in each version of the story is basically the same, but it the aprroach to it can be extremely different. My creative writing teacher in high school said that "There is no "original" ideas just "different" ones."

Andy, I definitely agree with how you said that authors recycle a part of a story (or material like how Foster said) and use it in their story. It definitely reminded me of Drama as Lit last semester how there were connections of plays that we read to other plays and that we all assumed that it was taken from that play.