Seasons and emotions

| 4 Comments | No TrackBacks

Foster (19-20)

After completing the readings, I was once again left speechless because of all that I don't know about literature. The most interesting thing for me was in chapter 20. This chapter dealt with the seasons of the year and how they actually have their own emotions and moods. It seems that when I look back on the books that I've read, this really proves true, but until now I never really noticed it. I enjoyed the part of the text in which Foster is talking about Henry James' characters.

"She's all spring and sunshine; he's all frosty stiffness. Names, you ask. Daisy Miller and Frederic Winterbourne. Really, it's too perfect. And obvious."

It's such a great tool for authors to give reader's a subconsious impression of their characters. Foster really sheds the light on hints that authors such as Shakespeare and Forster, and even song writer's like Simon and Garfunkel and Rod Stewart use to get across the emotion that they want you to feel.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/17273

Andy I enjoyed how you included songwriters into your agenda item.
I notice that not only in stories do seasons have an effect on characters, but in real life they do as well. In the winter, I am very cautious and not as cheerful. Summertime I am lively and full of sunshine and in the autumn I am starting to prepare for my next year of school which leaves(not supposed to be a pun, well it could) me to be anxious and a little brittle.
I enjoy how authors include seasons into stories, it adds more flare.

Can I ask you a question? Do you think that extreme environment could be a character? Maybe a lead character. Like Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare... where the change of season was a reason for enchantment.

Andy,

I am glad to see you are enjoying the Foster book. I read that my freshman year at Bethany in Honors English....it really helps. Nice job on keeping this blog up to date.

Denamarie,

That is wonderful that you apply your own emotions to literary devices. Not only do you become more connected to the work, but you have an inherent understanding.

Kevin,

If you ever read William Blake's Visions of the Daughters of Albion weather/climate sort of becomes a character.

I hope you all continue your love for literature and do well this semester.

Affly,
Katie

Andy, recognizing how much you don't know is the first step to wisdom. And the only way to learn more is to confront that which you don't (yet) know.

Hmm.. that's about as much fortune-cookie advice as I can muster up this morning.

Oh, and your lucky numbers are 3, 13, 23, and 47.