« Reading between the lines | Main | Seasons and emotions »

January 25, 2006

Turned around

Fitzgerald, Bernice Bobs Her Hair

"But a few minutes before she fell asleep a rebellious thought was churning drowsily in her brain--after all, it was she who had done it."

It is at this point in the story that I feel a reversal takes place. Bernice finally shows a gilmer of self-confidence. She realizes that Marjorie doesn't control her life. Yes she's helped with advice, but Bernice actually had to make the decision to follow through with her new lifestyle herself. She experiences a freedom that had been unkown to her previously.

I also enjoyed the end of the play. I feel that there is some irony in Bernice "scalping" her so called helpful cousin. It was infact Bernice who needed help finding self-confidence. But in the end, the work that Marjorie put into making Bernice what she thought a young woman should be like, turned on her and showed her that maybe being that kind of woman isn't too pleasant after all. It's very rewarding as a reader to see the protagonist punished in the end and Fitzgerald does an excellent job of bringing the her audience in to share this feeling with her.

Posted by AndrewLoNigro at January 25, 2006 09:44 PM

I couldn't help but feel bad for both of these girls. Bernice has no real social skills and no ability to meet men... and Marjorie is a complete tart. And in the end, they both have bad haircuts.

Posted by: Mike Rubino at January 26, 2006 09:14 PM

Andy, I defintely agree with you. Yeah like Mike, said they both have bad hair cuts, but it's not really about hair cuts... at least the way I saw it. It's about self confidence that people, not just girls, sometimes hide in themselves. Maybe Marjorie just helpes Bernice shove her confidence out.

Posted by: Danielle Meyer at February 13, 2006 03:41 PM