Happy Thought

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

This poem is short, sweet, and to the point. The point that I think Stevenson was trying to make is that THE WORLD is full of so many different types of things such as, respect, dignity, passion, treachery, deceit, kindness, life, death, and innumerable others. And from first glance at the text one thinks that he's saying there are so many good things in the world that we should never be unhappy.

However, upon further scrutinization of my brain, I came up with the question of whether or not kings are really happy? Yes, they have wealth and power and clout, but they also have a country to rule. They have to deal with "bad" things such as wars and villians and poverty and such. So perhaps what Stevenson is saying is that we are supposed to tough it out and get through all of the hard times and don't take for granted the good times. That's just my personal view, what do you guys think?

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/17312

Andy, I just got done discussing Happy Thoughts in my blog. Take a look at it because it contradicts some of your points. How do you know Stevenson was talking about things such as life, death, etc.? He could have been discussing materialistic things. And I agree with you...How do you know if Kings are happy?