Love isn't just a game...

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

Shakespeare, "Let me Not to the Marriage of True Minds"

Let me not to the Marriage of True Minds
William Shakespeare - Sonnet CXVI:

This sonnet is about love that is unmovable by circumstances. I really enjoyed this sonnet because of the way Shakespeare personalized love and gives it meaning with the words he choses. An example of this is in line 2, 3, and 4.

2 Love is not love
3 Which alters when it alteration finds,
4 Or bends with the remover to remove.

To me, these lines are all the true meaning of the sonnet. I feel that many people say that they are in love and yet don't understand what true love is. Shakespeare is obviously speaking from experience with this sonnet and is saying that true love isn't always a walk in the part. It's about weathering through the hard times and holding firm to what's inside when the outside conditions are forcing you to change.

11 Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
12 But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

This says to me that true love can endure the most powerful challenge, time. Even if it costs you everything you have, all of your dignity, all of your self-confidence, and all of your soul, you will still trust in true love even until the edge of doom. It's something deeper than we all think.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/17315

I also liked lines 11 and 12. I think he is saying that love can not be awesome in brief hours but you really know love when you are on the edge of doom. Like you said you know love when the most powerful challenge comes. I have been through a lot of things with my boyfriend, for instance we have a child, adn i know this sounds funny but we are so young but I still dont know if it is true love. Sometimes you still just don't know.