Wow

| 3 Comments | No TrackBacks

What can I say, Shakespeare certainly didn't hold back on the ending of this play. I really, really enjoyed this play and everything that happened in it. I found it interesting and entertaining as well.

In Act III, Scenes 8 & 9, Shakespeare only writes 10 lines combined. However, these two super-short scenes really foreshadowed things for me personally, and defined each character's personality. In scence 8, Ceasar is confident. He is ordering his soldiers, he knows what he wants, and he's ready to enforce it. In scene 9, the opposite seems to occur. Antony, instead of being confident and bold in his decisions, he seems to be waiting for Ceasar to act and then he will counter-act. It gives the impression that he is in a defensive mode and as the story progressed we find out that Antony plays pretty much the defensive end of things in many of the battles.

I felt throughout the play that Enobarbus was the voice of reason. In scence 13, of Act III after Cleopatra fled from the battle, she wants to know what they should do now. Enobarbus simply replies,

ENOBARBUS
Think, and die.

To me, he sees right through the face of love that Antony and Cleopatra are playing each other with. He realizes that this is a life and death situation and that both of them are being blinded by their love. With this line, I feel that Enobarbus (the voice of reason) is finally convinced that the situation is hopeless. Because of this, he trades sides, and then because of overwhelming guilt and fear, he ends up killing himself. For some reason, he was my favorite character.

I found it noble of Antony to send Enobarbus's treasures and chests to him after he knew he had traded sides. He still respected him and knew that he was only trying to survive. It stunned me though that Antony didn't react like he previously had in situations by letting his temper get the better of him. I mean, he ususally would have flipped out (which I think was one of his character flaws) but instead he gives in, which I feel represents him giving up and accepting that he isn't going to survive. This is beautifully written.

The thing that got to me the most at the end of the play was Cleopatra. What a guilt trip! When Antony thought she had betrayed him, he lashed out at her, and instead of calming him down and trying to be a comforter for him, she hides. Okay, I can understand that she was scared. But when Cleopatra, and Charmian send word to Antony that Cleopatra has slain herself, that's just ridiculous.

CLEOPATRA
To th' monument!
Mardian, go tell him I have slain myself.
Say that the last I spoke was "Antony"
And word it, prithee, piteously. Hence, Mardian,
And bring me how he takes my death. To th' monument!

In essence, the childish games that Cleopatra and Antony played during the whole play with each other, such as jealousy and guilt, lead to both of their downfalls. The amazing thing, well not really, is that Antony fell for it and decided to die himself.

I feel that it all boils down to people's egos and their personal motives. In this play, Shakespeare gives every character one similarity, they all look out for number one. Yes, Cleo and Antony loved each other, but as we see in the Scene 14, both of them are extremely concerned with their self-image. I also think that Shakespeare took this opportunity to put some of his ideas about the good things and bad things of love in his work. Overall, I really liked this play and look forward to seeing it live at SHU.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/17328

I found this play to be some of Shakespeare's most entertaining work and your're right that Antony and Cleopatra act like highschoolers using jealousy and guilt. It goes to show that in the end, acting out will never quite get the results you expected, so it would've been better to be upfront all along.

Andy,

Mike Rubino must have been right than... that the main characters have no redeeming qualities. If so should we feel sorry for their deaths. Antony may be understandable, considering the fact that he thought his "love" was dead. But this whole relationship was bad from the get go. Started from something political and into something personal. Even when it got personal, like you said, they were looking out for number one. I can't wait to see it live in Reeves. I heard that it is going to have a modern twist which goes to so that the message of this play can be applied to any era.

Good point, man... Cleopatra is so concerned with her own well being that she won't even step down from her monument to kiss her lover goodbye... instead they have to hoist his bleeding, heavy body up to her.

And I loved that line from Enobarbus. Probably the best line in the whole play.