Diamond Age 2

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

This book is really starting to come together. As we talked about in class, there are so many different stories, but now they all seem to come together. What I like most about the book so far is that it Stephenson gives us just enough information so that we start wanting to know more and then changes the scene, but he never fails to come back to it. For example, he jumps from the scene with Judge Lang and Dr. X to one of Nell's experiences with the Primer to Hackworth and then back. However, as the story is going on, I'm able to start peicing parts of it together. The tactic that Stephenson uses made me wonder what some of the information was for. For example, at the beginning I wasn't sure how Bud's part in the whole scheme of things was of any importance. But although Bud himself doesn't change the course of the story, the connection from Bud to Judge Lang brings us into another part of the story and so on. Stephenson does a great job with connections and feeding us vital information through them.

The "connection" that I made wasn't between characters in this story however. It was between two different books, "Diamond Age" and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time." What I found was the author's tactics seemed to be similar. There is a big difference in the styles of writing. Haddon was writing from an autistic boy's point of view, and Stephenson is writing as an author explaining a story. The comparison that I made however was between the way that the two authors write about the children in the books.

"Nell laughed to think of a little girl monkey flipping a great dinosaur over her shoulder. She went back one page and reread the last part more carefully: A couple of days later, when Belle came back to our cave looking lonely and forlorn, we both did our best to make her feel welcome. Dojo made a special meal in his kitchen out of rice, fish, and vegetables and made sure that she ate every scrap. Then he began playing a special game with her called somersaults."

In Haddon's book, he wrote from the prospective of Christopher. So Christopher felt that he didn't have to explain all of the things that were familiar to him, even though we found them different, such as the colors of the cars. So it seems as if there is no emotion in what he is saying. Stepheson uses a similar pattern in order to show us the innoncence of Nell and how she is growing. In the passage above he is showing that Nell is totally involved in the Primer and that to her it is the world, it is everything.

To be honest, I am trying to get into this book as I did with "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" and some of the other literature that we covered. But for some reason I am struggling with understanding the concept of "Diamond Age." I'm not sure why, but I do like the way that the book shows Nell growing as a person.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/17422

I'll have to agree with you when you say that you are taking a liking to how Nell is growing as a person. When the book first started out, Nell didn't seem to be one of the main characters; however, now after reading it, I realize that she probably the MAIN character in this story. I sometimes laugh at Nell when she asks the primer different questions such as, "What is an adventure?". I must be thinking that she is older than what she really is. She is probably pretty young because she still doesn't forget to mention her four animals. I like how the primer is describing Nell's way of living. This book is definately coming together. For a five hundred page book, I never thought it would be THIS interesting! :)