Logical?

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

The second half of this book, for me, reinforced the discussion that we had on Monday about Christopher being emotionless. I felt that he didn’t have any emotion and Dr. Jerz commented saying that he indeed does have emotion; however, he doesn’t express it like we do. For example, he feels bad for the dog so he wants to find out who killed it, but he doesn’t cry or get scared.

I found that throughout the second half of the book we see instead how Christopher and other autistic children deal with their emotion. I feel that Haddon did an excellent job of conveying the message that instead of becoming emotional, Christopher uses logic. For example right off the bat to start off the second half, he discusses his choices on where he will live with the diagram on page131.

“And then I realized there was nothing I could do which felt safe. And I made a picture of it in my head like this…Which meant I had to go to London to live with Mother.”

As we can see, Christopher is expressing his emotions by trusting in his intelligence and what he knows. This gives him a sort of comfort that nothing else can give him, not his father or mother or Siobhan. I also feel that in the second half there were many chances for him to fall on the ground grab his knees and start screaming. However, as the story went on, he didn’t do it as much. I mean yes there were many times that he got out of control when he was frightened and scared, but it seemed that he was on a quest to find himself, and by the end of the journey, there is hope. He knows that he survived life in the outside world on his own. In his mind, he is taking steps to becoming a “normal person” and that’s why I love this story. Even the last line says,

“And I know I can do this because I went to London on my own, and because I solved the mystery of Who Killed Wellington? and I found my mother and I was brave and I wrote a book and that means I can do anything.”

Logically, he can.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/17402

Andy
I agree with you on the fact that Haddon shows that "instead of becoming emotional, Christopher uses logic." It works well for the book as well.

The logic of him making very big, important decisions are all based on his pictures and graphics he makes in his mind. I talked a litte about this in my blog. I think that if we all made pictures in our head about different situations, we would make different decisions.

Your ending quote is very motivational and inspirational. I think that he did, as you said, is making baby steps to becoming what you could say normal.