Wearing Blinders

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

Thsi chapter was written very effectively. What I mean by this is that Foster doesn't come out and scare the reader by saying... "You should read things with an open mind and if you don't you are a bad person and you're going to hell." Instead, he gives examples in which he as well as many of the readers have fallen into traps in which our personal opinion takes over. What he's saying is that we should respect other's points of view and especially the conditions that the stories were written in. For example, "Sonny's Blues" by James Baldwin.

Don't read with your eyes seemed to be the reocurring theme to the chapter. He brings up an excellent point in how our culture is trained with talk shows and made-for-television movies that we need to identify a problem and find a simple solution. What we seem to overlook most of the time is the emotional situations that these problems can occur, not just to us personally but to others around us. Lilke I said, Foster brings his opinion in but doesn't force it.

On a side note, I personally feel that so many of the problems in our society are caused in part by the fact that we do a lot of talking and not too much listening. Oh, everybody says that they look at other sides of issues and that they are open minded, but are they really? I don't think that it's a matter of being open minded, I think it's a matter of respecting others and respecting who it is that says something. For example, if the old guy in the back of the line at Sheetz is saying that the War on Terror is a huge mistake and that our country is going to hell in a tea cup, what do I care? He can say what he wants and I'm free to agree or disagree, but it has no impact on my life whether or not he says it. I feel that we (as a whole society) make too much of a big deal out of the small things and don't focus enough on the betterment of our country... not ourselves. We need to sometimes think about how decisions will affect others instead of looking out for number one all of the time. Okay, I'm getting off of the soapbox but I couldn't resist... Foster was so inviting.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/17442

Another excellent discussion of Foster. I'm delighted to see evidence that you are getting so much out of this text -- and putting a lot of yourself into it. Good work, Andy.