I Want It Now

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

"We used to call it the World Wide Wait, because the primitive dial-up systems of the 1990s were so slow to load pages. Many users in those days would set their browsers to ignore the graphics, since these are always the slowest items to load."
Kilian, 7

Kilian hit the nail on the head. This was the thing that jumped out at me most about this chapter. I think it's because I related to it the most. I realize that I'm not a very impatient person, but that little impatience only seems to be magnified when I am sitting, staring at my computer screen, waiting, praying for that little sand glass to stop turning over and for the page to refresh already, or for that graphic to download. Sometimes I want to violently rip the plug from the was and hurl my laptop out the window, smashing it to tiny pieces at the bottom. But then I'd be mad at myself for doing so. Anyway, the point is that the public and I have something in commong, we don't like to wait. That's why it's important, as Kilian is saying, to create our websites and webwriting so that it appeals to the viewers: not a lot of text, not too many graphics, easy on the color schemes. We must make our websites catching, attractive, and easy to access/manage. After all we don't want our viewers to push the back button right that instant.

Don't push the back button, push this.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/14336

I think you need to see a therapist :-). That is how I used to feel using dial-up at home, but I have become a little more patient with the high speed internet, but there are still times when I hit the back button and the browser does nothing. I will continue to hit back madly until the error screen comes up, and I know that my computer has been overloaded.