On it's own two feet

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

First of all, this hypertext story is a wild ride. Walter Sorrels did a great job on creating a story that appears to be only a page long, but with incorporated hyperlinks, was legitimately in depth and lengthy story. I think this idea is original and ingenius. I really enjoyed putting together the pieces of the puzzle and enjoying an interesting tale along the way. There were two things that really intrigued me while reading this story:

1. That the first page was a story with one meaning, but if the reader read the links, the story unravelled and changed into a different tale.

2. Each page was able to stand on it's own as an individual idea.

The first page of The Heist isn't more than a few hundred words long. It tells a quick, seemingly pointless story. However, the links that Sorrels provides to other parts of the story place another layer on the original story until it unfolds into an entirely different story. It changes from some guy named Teddy taking out a withdrawal and telling the clerk to keep the change, to an intense bank robbery. This idea is original and a very interesting activity to engage in.

As Kilian says, each page of a website should be able to stand alone on it's own two feet, in case the reader doesn't see the rest of the site. This is a bit of a different situation, seeing as the site is a story, but the principle still applies. In fact, as Aja discusses on her blog, it's a bit confusing to read each link, in no particular order. It makes the story all jumbles up. But I believe this is the point Sorrels is trying to make. It doesn't matter what order you read the links in, the story still comes together because each section can stand on its own. Brilliant idea.

More comments

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/14423

Andy
I saw what you posted on my blog about the Sorrels story. I have to admit that I feel kind of dumb for being so quick to judge about this different kind of reading. I think I may have followed the crowd on this one but you made me think about it from the author's perspective. This actually is a really creative piece and to think that maybe he did mean for everyone to have a different reading experience. It would certainly spark a good discussion about what happened in the mystery. Thanks for having another opinion on this!