Technology, Writing, and Personality.

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

"If anybody wants to learn more about the calendar (no pushing... form
an orderly line... no need to cause a massive rush on the internet
system) I'd be happy to dig out the paper I wrote."

This light, jocuar tone was new for Usenet. In Dr. Jerz's article, "Clueless Usenet Newbie," he uses language and a tone like above. As I look back on my personal introduction to blogging I can see how I took the idea much the same way Dr. Jerz did. I didn't think of blogging to be professional looking and sounding all the time. I looked at it as a chance to goof off a bit, to be myself, maybe crack a few jokes. But, at the same time, I knew the purpose.

As a senior and not blogging for the past 3 years, it's interesting for me to take a glance back at the work I put together on my blog freshmen year. It's interesting to see how my writing has changed, how my voice is distinct to my personality, and how cheezy I sounded. I guess I shared the same experience as Dr. Jerz when I looked back and saw what I wrote. Embarassing? I don't know. But definitely cheezy. Don't believe me, take a look at my blog entry about poetry during freshmen year... (I can't believe I'm doing this.) A Poetic Experience.

I guess the lesson is that technology, writing, and personality are three things that are always changing. We learn to adapt our writing to the atmosphere around us. I feel I am comfortable enough now with the blogging system to use it effectively, write effectively, and in short communicated effectively.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/14271

I couldn't agree with you more.
I was looking back at all my comments and blogs from first semester freshman year it Dr. Jerz's Drama as Literature. My writing seemed very high school with the form, tone and personality in it. I sound very young and as I look back now I ask myself why the hell did I write that.

As you say, we learn to adapt our writing to the atmosphere around us. In different classes or situations we write and speak differently. And using my blog for example, I noticed when I commented on a friend's blog it was very laid back, but if I commented on Dr. Jerz's or an upperclassmen it was more formal.