An unexpected reference

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

When I first saw the assignment and made an initial visit to the hypertext story called, The University of Yellow Wallpaper, I immediately thought of a short story I had one time read for a class called "The Yellow Wallpaper," by Charlotte Perkins Gilmore. I enjoyed the story and didn't know if it had to do anything with this hypertext literature.

I have finally found out. The front pattern does move--and no wonder! The woman behind it shakes it! Sometimes I think there are a great many women behind, and sometimes only one, and she crawls around fast, and her crawling shakes it all over. Then in the very bright spots she keeps still, and in the shady spots she just takes hold of the bars and shakes them hard. And she is all the time trying to climb through (Charlotte Perkins Gilman "The Yellow Wallpaper," 30).

As I read through White's work, I came across this quote from "The Yellow Wallpaper." What I admire about what White did was combine other works in with his own. You don't often see that in a creative work, more in research and critical essays, however, this act brings an aspect of originality and concentration to White's piece.

The other reason I feel the quote is integral to the work is that in a way, it reflects the overall identity of the work. What I mean is it definitely takes more than a glance to understand what is going on, what White is doing. Each page is something different: a new challenge to understand, comprehend, make sense of, think about. "The Yellow Wallpaper" is just that. It's the tale of a woman who, in a sense, thinks too much, and causes herself to go crazy. "The University of Yellow Wallpaper" does much of the same thing. It sends the reader in circles, yet each individual page has its own meaning and mission. I enjoyed picking this work apart and found it more difficult than I expected.

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/14473