Creative Hypertext - Part I

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

I explored a few types of creative hypertext at the Electronic Literatrure Collection. I was at first surprised at how much literature there actually was. I began to scroll over a few pictures and found some that thought looked interesting based on the image and the quick description.

I first looked at Kenneth Goldsmith's "Soliloquy." I was amazed at what I found. He decided to write down every word he said for one entire week. He did this by using a tape recorder and writing down each word he said from Monday to Sunday. It was interesting to see what was written because it didn't make sense. It was only him speaking so you had to kind of guess what the other party was saying during his conversation. Very interesting.

The next piece I looked into was Alan Sondheim's "Dawn." This one was a new experience because it was a poem that included visual and audio along with the written words. It showed a few scenes and the words would fade in and out over top of a consistent sound. It was interesting to see how much "life" was brought to words when you can do more than simply look at them on a page. It gave the poem color and personality. I really enjoyed this piece as well.

The third I explored was probably my favorite. "Faith" by Robert Kendall is a poem, much like "Dawn," that uses words, sounds, and pictures. However, there are no scenes like in "Dawn." There are simply different colored words. Each clip, adds or takes away words from what is already there, and is accompanied by type writer-like sounds. I enjoyed this poem because I liked Kendall's message, and because it was very interesting to see how word order can affect the meaning of a work of literature.

The fourth was very intriguing as well. "Star Wars, one letter at a time" by Brian Kim Stefans was unique and nothing I'd ever seen before. It also had audio, but only text. This was a look at Star Wars, written out, as if George Lucas were writing it. The sounds were type writer sounds as each letter came up on the middle of the screen. For example, the first clip read "S" and the second read "t" and spelled Star Wars. This occured throughout the entire story. I recognized the famous, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." It was pretty cool to see the text like that, but also a little difficult to follow if not knowing what is coming up ahead.

I'm excited and look forward to looking into one or a few of these works more intently and studying what's beyond the surface.

EL 236

TrackBack URL: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/14494