Portfolio 4: End of Semester/Final Portfolio

It's the end of my first semester here at Seton Hill University, and while there have been a few stressful moments here and there, I have enjoyed my time here, much more than any other institution I have attended.  The classes I took were a large part of my experience here, as one could imagine, particularly this class.

This class introduced me to blogging, and the process of sharing my work with my peers outside of class.  While I did not have a positive association with blogging before EL237, I feel that blogging gave me a way to understand the material that I would have not been able to simply by reading the assignments and just showing up for class.  The discussions I had with my peers inside and outside of class because of the blogging gave me a different, and fresh perspective of news-writing, a subject that I wasn't particularly a fan of before.

Portfolio:

For the Coverage section, I blogged for all of the assignments, including:

"NY Times": My Life and The New York Times, One in 8 Million

"Haiman 57-67": Is this actually about fairness, or how they look in the newspaper?

"Arizona Star": Arizona Star: Interactive Trash Report

"Wired": Link use on Websites and Video Games

"Harvard Crimson": Live Nudes at Harvard

"The Cavalier Daily": Gratuitous use of fold at the University of Virgina

"Haiman 71-73": Are the news organizations doing their job?

For the In-Depth section, I discussed how not only does your layout need to be clear, but your website will fall flat if your stories are lacking, in Live Nudes at Harvard.

For the Interaction section, I commented about Greta's view of the "Haiman 57-67" assignment, expanding upon her ideas to consider the motivations of politicians, and how that might effect their view of news-reporters in Is this actually about fairness, or how they look in the newspaper?.

For the Discussion section, one of my blogs, My Life and The New York Times, One in 8 Million, had two comments.  I also continued the discussion with one of the commenters on her blog.

While
My Life and The New York Times, One in 8 Million was submitted well before the due date, in a Timely manner, Arizona Star: Interactive Trash Report and Link use on Websites and Video Games were both submitted before the class.

Xenoblogging:

For the Comment Primo, I was the first to comment on Matthew Henderson's blog about The New York Times.

For the Comment Informative, I noted that a photograph that was included in the online version of an article Kaitlin Monier blogged about, was probably not included in the print version of the same article.

For the Link Gracious, I was inspired by, and linked to, Greta Carrol's blog in Is this actually about fairness, or how they look in the newspaper?

-------------

For my Wildcard, I linked to a video that highlights some seriously faulty statistics on a news program in Fair, not so Balanced.

Original Assignment