The "F" words are two peas in a pod

For this entry, I chose to choose a pair of quotes from The Merry Wives of Windsor instead of just a single quote to prove my point:

Evans: By Jeshu, I think the 'oman is a witch indeed.  I

like not when a 'oman has a great peard; I spy a great

peard under his muffler (IV.ii.180-182).

Ford: Let it be so.  Sir John,

To Master Brooke you yet shall hold your word;

For he tonight shall lie with Mistress Ford (V.V.242-244).

I chose the first quote to show that Ford is incredibly oblivious.  He is looking for Falstaff but in the process, lets a bearded, or shall I say "pearded," lady escape his own home.  Evans who is portrayed as stupid because of his bad English is smart enough to realize that the lady is in fact a man but Ford doesn't.  It is amazing how he thinks that he is so clever for creating Brooke to fool Falstaff with, but in the meantime, he is fooled with what sounds to be a poorly disguised Falstaff.  The second quote upholds my claim that he thinks that he is clever because in these last three lines of the play, Ford reveals to Flastaff he has been duped the whole time and he is Brooke.  He says it is such a way that is cocky and clever.

These two are pitted against each other from the very beginning, but what they both fail to realize is that they are two in the same.  Both of the men have huge egos.  Falstaff thinks that he is the strongest and most handsome buck in the woods and Ford thinks that he is so very clever for tricking Falstaff and knowing the true intentions of his wife.  These two characters are almost interchangeable.  Maybe that's why their names start with the same first letter?  It could just be a coincidence, though. 

Angela, wow that is really true. Mr. Ford and Sir John Falstaff are really similar in a lot of ways. I really like that first quote you picked. For crying out loud, Mr. Ford can see his beard, and he still lets her go! But I would like to point out one difference between the two. Sir John is sure of prowess with the ladies, whereas Mr. Ford doesn’t even think he can keep his own wife honest. So in the end, while Sir John has learned his lesson, Mr. Ford has not. Mr. Ford is left thinking he is “cocky and clever,” as you say. This goes back to my post (http://blogs.setonhill.edu/GretaCarroll/2008/02/king_jealousy_dethronedbut_not.html), and my belief, that Mr. Ford has not really learned to trust his wife.

Oh, and I like your title, very clever.

You like finding symbolism in names don't you? Haha, just kidding. :P I agree though. Did you notice the same pattern with Shallow, Slender, and Simple? They all sound exactly the same and I actually had to keep going back to the character page just to keep them all straight. But I think that Shakespeare is trying to tell us something here. Maybe he wants us to use them interchangebly, to get them mixed up. Shakespeare was a pretty sneaky dude, so I am sure that he would do something like that. Great analysis, Angela! :)