I DO like green eggs and ham!

"They laughed together, and two other Launchies joined them.  Ender's isolation was over.  The war was just beginning" (Ender's Game 53).

Thank God!  I'm so happy that Ender finally got some friends!  The tone has shifted (at least for a little).  Ender went from fighting against EVERYTHING to finally being able to lower his guard.  At home he had to watch himself.  The only person he liked really was Valentine.  Peter was a horrible influence and an ominous person who has definately caused Ender some serious psychological damage.  He felt, for a while, like a failure, a disappointment because he thought he was inadequate.  He had no friends at all, his parents weren't really even there for him so he was alone.  It is starting to look like things were going to start going Ender's way.  He outsmarted the system, beat an older boy, dethroned the bully and now has friends.  But I also have reason to believe things are going to get worse now because "The was was just beginning."

I love the way this book reveals so little at a time.  It was difficult to figure out that Ender and Andrew Wiggin were the same person, why he is called "Ender", who Val was, the purpose of the monitors, what the heck was going on and who the people are that are speaking at the beginning of the chapters.  The cryptic way this book was written is really holding my interest.  It is also inspirational, a tactic I will definately have to apply to my own story writing.  I think that it is a shame that I have never heard of Orson Scott Card before.  I also think the reason why I love this book the way I do is because the laws and restrictions remind me of 1984.(This is crazy!  I found the whole book online so you don't even have to buy it if you want to read it.)  If you haven't read 1984, you NEED to!  It's SO good!

I feel it necessary to mention that I am pleasantly surprised by this book.  It is good.  I have never read any science fiction before and from this book l am learning that I should expand my horizons more and read some different things.  I'm just like "Sam I am" and guess what!?  I DO like green eggs and ham!

Thanks again for more great feedback. This book has so much to say about education, computer games as educational tools, politics in a networked society, the writing process, the creation of leadership, and so many other things that I, too, sometimes forget it's a work of science fiction. It's also a great example of SHOWING instead of TELLING. You nailed it, Angela. Because Card doesn't give us a four-page introduction that explains how everything works in this futuristic world.

Do they still have doorknobs or do the doors slide open? what are their clothes made out of? how does their version of money work? WHO CARES!!

This is a story about characters, and we immediately get into the horrible, painful world of Ender, seeing the world through his eyes -- and we also hear the disembodied voices of adult authorities who are making all the decisions that affect his life. It's very chilling.

Angelica Guzzo said:

This is like 1984. I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, I can see it. It has a type of totalitarian society where ender knows what's going to happen. I happen to like that book as well. Great ideas, as always.

Jessie Farine said:

Massive props for mentioning 1984. But anyways, I agree with the idea that everything is going well for him now but are only going to get worse. This book is written in such an enticing way that, even though I'm bored to death with futuristic sci-fi novels, I quickly passed the "bored" stage and hurled into the "I want to keep reading more" stage.

Jeanine O'Neal said:

Think of it this way too. Those might not truly be his friends. They could be buggers in disguise. The monitor people (the government or whatever) want him to feel happier in this battle atmosphere than at home because then he won't pine for it. He won't feel saddness, homesickness, or any feelings. He will be the robot they want him to be.

Ah! I immediately thought of 1984 as well (see the comment I left on Jeanine's blog entry)!!! The whole Big Brother futuristic idea was just so present in the first few chapters of Ender's Game...it was like 1984 but with little kids! I am actually quite surprised as well that I do like this book; when I saw that it was science fiction I was not very sure...but I have to say that I enjoy reading it. :)