Aren't We All Artist-Dreamers?

From Stephen J. Miko’s “Tempest” in Keesey’s Contexts for Criticism:

“If as I believe Shakespeare will not allow either unequivocal idealization or consistent, “realistic” parody, all the characters are mirrors of us, especially as we are all artist-dreamers, and all the mirrors are chipped and cracked” (382).

This essay was confusing for Miko snaked his way through his point.  I’m not quite sure that it added up for me in the end, but I don’t necessarily think it was a bad essay either.  I think that Miko’s point, however, was quite obvious.  The characters were realistic because Shakespeare used real-life observations to create these characters.  I have a friend who carries around a notebook with her at all time to write down strange personality traits of people that she meets.  Later, I surmise, she will try to use these traits in a book or short story. 

As for the whole “artist-dreamers” theme, I’m not so sure.  I can see what Miko was saying when he called Prospero an artist in a sense that he was the orchestrator of the whole show, like he was managing his own theater company (278).  I guess that we are all artists in a way.  You don’t have to paint a picture to be an artist (because I would not qualify in that case for my drawing talents never existed).  You can write poetry, complete a math problem, discover a new species of animal, etc.  I guess a person could maybe deconstruct an “artist” as not merely someone who paints but anyone who uses creative devices or problem-solving to work out an issue or express themselves.  In that case, Miko was right, but as I said before, he makes an obvious point. 

As for us all being dreamers, that is obvious too.  We all have dreams that we one day want to fulfill.  I would classify my dreams in two categories: the superficial and the prioritized.  My superficial dreams are ones that don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things like going to San Diego and Australia.  My prioritized dreams are ones that are more important in life such as graduating, getting married, having children, changing other’s lives for the better.

What do you think about Miko’s article?  Is there anything important that I left out or overlooked that makes it more important and less obvious?  Please prove me wrong.  (I’ve learned that being wrong presents a great learning opportunity.)

Course website