The Determining Factors Behind Intertextuality

From Catherine Belsey's "Literature, History, Politics" in Keesey's Contexts for Criticism:

"The intertextual relations of the text are never purely literary.  Fiction draws not only on other fiction but on the knowledge of its period, discourses in circulation which are themselves sites of power and the contest for power" (433). 

As much as I did not like this article, I really liked this quote.  I never really thought of intertextual relations as a reflection of the history and politics going on at the time a work was written.  It makes a lot of sense that in a particular time period, multiple authors would choose to write about similar topics.  For example, if I decided to write a story about a character named Phil who was going through hard times caused by the loss of his job, someone else is probably writing a story about Jan who had to take a pay cut in order to keep her job making being a single parent even harder; people are losing their jobs due to the economic hard times we're going through right now and that relates and establishes the connection between these two stories.  Some would argue that this is all caused by politics.  Thus, when these two works are put out in the future an intertextual relation is really only possible because of political factors since that is what determined the plot.

What happens though if I want to create an intertextual relationship between the Bible and Keith Urban's song "You'll Think of Me"?  What, possibly, can the politics have in common?  I guess you could stretch it but I'm not sure the interetextual relationship would be at all political.

Read more