This reminds me of something...

We were asked to take a look at a comic called "A Famous Person Has Died" by John Campbell and it was so hilariously true of TV news!  The line that really struck me was, "Billy, do you have any new information?" and Billy responds, "No, do you?"  This is exactly what happens when anything remotely extremely newsworthy happens like the death of a certain giant musically talented celebrity or a gym shooting.  Soon the reporters take over your television (whether you like it or not) and you get to know all about these people's lives.  You get to meet their second cousin three times removed, you get some drunk guy on the street's opinion, and you sometimes even get to hear the reporters blundering over the facts because they are trying to stretch the news even further.  Pretty much you get everything short of a quote from their dog, Fido.

"Bark!  Bark!" (which when roughly translated means" take me home")

Derek Tickle said:

I agree with you, Angela! When I read the comic, I thought, "Wow, this is really what happens on the news!" The news of someone passing, especially if they are famous, causes the news media to become startled or dysfunction because everything is coming in at once. Your right about getting to know the person's life because we recently, you know who I am, learned about someone in complete detail from birth to death and everything in between.

It seems to me that what is in between the news is usually what is left out. Interesting!

I know what you mean. In general, I tend to find "breaking news" stories rather annoying. It can be downright uncomfortable watching reporters squirm to think of things to say while waiting to move on to something more interesting. I think there can be instances when breaking news can be useful--for instance, the shooting in the LA Fitness Gym was important breaking news for anyone who may have had loved ones going to that gym and who were concerned about the situation. In order for news reporters to break a story with little information like that, I think it needs to be something more earth-shattering than a celebrity dying; I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but that kind of news does not involve issues of safety or states of emergency and probably should wait until a regular news broadcast when more facts have been gathered and a fitting tribute can be organized.

Thank you for the excellent comments fellows. Matt, I really liked the point you made about breaking news. Something IS breaking news when it is useful to you because of safety or emergency. The day of the LA Fitness shootings I was watching America's Got Talent. Breaking news came in and it was rather informative. then they went back to regular programming. But then they came in again with more "breaking news" but the breaking news was really that there was none. They really knew no more and it was actually rather uncomfortable to hear them fumbling with the "facts" of the event (even though they didn't really know very many facts). This kind of reporting could have been saved until the 11 o'clock news when they had more information and could look more organized. In the meantime, if anything new came up, they could have just put a text banner at the bottom of the tv screen.