This is ok...I give it a C+

Well apparently you don’t have to be a rocket scientist or go to Harvard to know how to do layout.  I think that the main page for The Harvard Crimson is an average-looking site.  I don’t want to say it looks bad, it doesn’t.  But there is nothing particularly eye-catching, nothing that really demands your attention.  I like the changing picture in the middle of the page.  It’s cool.  But really, it’s Harvard!  Shouldn’t there be blinking lights or awesome fonts or something to spice it up?  They could even lay it out to look like a printed paper.  Create a template of some sort as to catch the eye of the viewer.  I’m disappointed.  I do like the “featured galleries” at the bottom of the page, though.  It looks nice and is a little different from what I’ve seen before.  Too bad the rest of the layout isn’t as cool.

What do others think?

Derek T said:

I want to begin by saying that I liked your title and how you graded this page and the other assigned text. I, too, thought that the website was kind of bland and not very attractive. Maybe it is because of how much prestigue the university has and they want to keep a professional appearance in thought and on the web. I really like the idea of creating a template so that the website looks like a news article (printed paper). That would be great and creative.

You may be right, Derek. It is possible that Havard's page is bland because they want to keep that professional appearance. I just feel that professional should not equal boring. There are ways to make a page look good without it looking unprofessional. This would mainly be done with more pictures to accompany their text. Look at the New Your Times website http://www.nytimes.com/. This site has a good number of pictures and is organized in such a way that it isn't overrwhelming. They have multimedia on the front page, too, like videos. I think that Harvard has the resources to do this so why don't they?

Wendy Scott said:

I like how you linked all of our blogs on your site so they could reference everyones oppioion good idea. I think that the layout and such was a little internet plain. I think that from a high acknowledged school that we all expect more, and i think they have the potential to do more.

Angela, I agree that there nothing amazing about the Harvard Crimson’s webpage, but I think you’re being a little harsh on it. I mean they do have slideshow of pictures at the top, video clips on the bottom right, other pictures interspersed throughout the page, and their articles are divided into sections. I do think that the masthead is not big enough. However, if you think about the time and effort it would take to keep a website like this updated daily as a college student who has a million other responsibilities, I think it is pretty good. I mean it’s not perfect, but as Derek pointed out it wouldn’t be very professional for them to having “blinking lights” or something else like that.

Derek T said:

Good Point, Angela! I think that multi-media would be a great way to enhance the site's appearance. Or even a picture of Harvard, maybe?

Greta - I agree and I think that some of the enhancements, i.e. videos, should be above the fold so readers/viewers can quickly see that and not leave the site.

Yeah, I agree on that one, Derek. Putting the videos above the fold or at a more prominent place but attract and retain readers' attention better.

Thanks for all of the comments everyone.

Greta, you're right. I was a little harsh on the website because I said I thought it was rather plain. However, I did not completely put Harvard down. I said, "I like the changing picture in the middle of the page. It’s cool." and "I do like the 'featured galleries' at the bottom of the page, though. It looks nice and is a little different from what I’ve seen before."

So my criticism isn't meant to be malicious. Rather, I meant to point out that it's really nothing special. I'm think you've heard this story before but I'll say it again. In high school, I once had a teacher give me a "D" on a paper. I was horrified. It's not like I let it go to the last minute or was completely off task. When I asked her about it she told me that it was an alright paper but I'd written better. Basically, compared to my other papers, she thought it was "D" worthy. I was trying to do about the same to Harvard. The site itself is way better than I could do but for a place as reknowned as Harvard, I expect better. Because they have that higher expectation level, I felt they should live up to it.

Derek, I really like your idea of having a picture of Harvard on the site. They should watermark Harvard University and put it in the background. It would look really nice.