a Holy glow

the use of light and dark in this play is a huge amount of symbolism that would mean a whole lot if we were to see this in production. not only on the cover (because it is a book- not meant to be a book- but the glare makes a cross, which was not a mistake.)

the opening scene begins on the dark stage with Jeanine, a downplayed character until the second act, who feels that the only reason she is living is because this man, who is the son of 'God'-  not 'god' (because it seems that the playright made it a point to not capitalize when the non-believers said God.

Her belief in Him keeps her alive. Many times throughout the book, He changes his name, and it is noted that He never actually talks to anyone, and it seems that only people who believe really see him through a sort of light.

April Minerd said:

The last thing you said clicked with the thoughts I expressed in my own blog. I wondered about Henri's idea that Ralph didn't really exist. Maybe it all has more to do with the people's belief in him than anything else. And I never even noticed how the cross on the cover. Nice observations.