Staying in the Now

"...and we laugh, and laugh, and nothing can ever be sad, no one can be lost, or dead, or far away: right now we are here, and nothing can mar our perfection, or steal the joy of this perfect moment." (241)

There is somewhere in themselves, a love so strong that holds them together through all of the rough times and even over time periods, and simple times like these keep them together. a little later in the book Henry is explaining to the doctor how the present is just pulling at him because they have such a strong bond that is keeping them here. When they begin to fight, that force seems to let him go, but when their lives are perfect it just seems like nothing can go wrong and it keeps him in the present with her.

throughout the book, one thing that bothers me is that it skips these mass amounts of time and I feel like I am missing out on so much. another thing that is odd is that they miss out on so much with each other and that he knows when people die. When people are asked, 'would you ever want to know when you would die?' some answer yes, because it would give them an idea of how much more fun they could have, they would be able to live like to the fullest more,  but more so than not, they answer no, because it would make them depressed.

it makes me think of the Bucket List, the men in the movie knew they only had a certain about of time to live, and lived it to the fullest instead of moping around.

Chelsie Bitner said:

I don't think I would like to know when exactly I would die because then I would be upset. Henry knew when he was going to die and Clare didn't want to know until it was time. If I were Clare I would want to know around what month but I wouldn't want the exact date and time of everything. This book reminded me of the Bucket list too (good movie) because of the fact that they had so many things to do before they died. It is a great way to look at it.

Jessica Bitar said:

I would not want to know when I would die. If I knew when I were to die, that is all I would be able to think about and it would probably make me depressed.

I think the novel is mainly about Clare and Henry's love for each other and that strong bond that they have together. Like Clare asks "Why is love intensified by absence?" I like how Henry travels through time, and yet the two stay together.

(I like how you compared it to the Bucket List, I never thought of that.)