It's all in her Beauty

Shakespeare

I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,/But no such roses see I in her cheeks;/And in some perfumes is there more delight/Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks. (Shakespeare 5-11)

When I first read this, I thought he was a jerk. I then saw that Shakespeare is describing her beauty. “Her eyes are nothing like the sun” because she is more than that. I thought this was really sweet. This type of love is “rare.” He loves her, flaws and all. He sees beauty in whatever she does.

Jessie Farine said:

I basically made the same points in my blog. Despite her flaws, he loves her, and that is what matters, not her flaws.

Maddie Gillespie said:

Everyone deserves to love someone, though some have trouble accepting little tidbits/habits of others. Shakespeare's type of love may very well be truly rare because few people can put aside their own differences to fall in love with someone not in spite of their flaws, but because of them. You made an excellent point. Good job! Now if only the rest of humanity could get their ducks in a row and get behind this concept!