Fitzgerald, "The Great Gatsby" Part II

"They're a rotten crowd," I shouted across the lawn, "You're worth the whole damn bunch put together."

I've always been glad I said that. It was the only compliment I ever gave him, because I disapproved of him from beginning to end. First he nodded politely, and then his face broke into that radiant and understanding smile, as if we'd been in ecstatic cahoots on that fact all the time. 

Page 155

This section made me think that maybe Nick has had an infatuation with Gatsby from the beginning even though I'm sure Nick would argue that fact.  No man, that I have ever known, has ever described another man as having a "radiant smile." I just found it a little odd. 

Nick and Gatsby had a peculiar connection from the start and this quote, "in ecstatic cahoots," may be the evidence needed.  Both of them most likely knew that the crowd Gatsby hung out with was lower than him, but neither wanted to say it.  The smile was the one thing that sealed the deal, so to speak, on their same feelings.

Christopher Dufalla said:

The duo of Nick and Gatsby were indeed dynamic. They were so very different from one another and yet they got along rather well. I think that Nick's understanding and support of Gatsby really comforted the troubled mind of a man in love with something that he could never truly regain. As Nick leaves, we see that Nick consols Gatsby with the thought that Daisy, Tom and the lot are shallow and not worth the effort. The opposite is true of Gatsby, in a way. While he was shallow with regards to gaining earthly posessions to win back his love, Gatsby did all that he did for love, which is much more than can be said about any of the other characters, Nick included.