This Heist is a Hoax

As I entered the first page of the text The Heist, I was delighted to see that this would be a fun story that would be interesting to figure out based on the few links that were provided. Little did I know that "a few links" turned into 500! I'm not even sure if I read all of the links because I got so lost as to which one to follow next and how to link the ever occuring new news, to the story. Once I supposedly finished the story I immediatley went to check out my classmate's blogs to see their reactions. Obviously several others had a problem with this style of internet writing.

I cannot deny that Walter Sorrells is a pretty creative guy. I'm sure he's not the only one on the web who has stories like this. So the idea is very creative but not something I enjoy as a reader. I also think it would be confusing as a writer to keep all the hyperlinks together. I suppose I would wirite it all out on paper first and then make some sort of outline based on where I want each link to go and with what words, etc. It seems like more work than neccessary when you could just type out a novel with chapters instead of hyperlinks.

Also I think there is more to this story that meets the eye. I know that Teddy Clapp was the one in the beginning who was starting his plan of robbing the bank and I know he is the one who lit the Spring Lake Plantation on fire to distract the police from his intention to rob the bank. He held someone hostage, killed a women and ran off with the hostage who is supposedly a lover? But I'm lost as to how it ends. Reading it once took a very long time and I had the feeling of quitting several times. However, I think that in order to get the whole story and all the details, it needs to be read again... and maybe again.

I think that in Kilian's eyes this would not be an appealing website for most readers. I think many would give up based on the length, staring at a computer screen for a couple hours, and reading straight words without any pictures or images. But for those viewers who are looking for a good mystery with a lot of time on their hands, this interactive hypertext reading would suit them well.

See what the New York Times has to say about Hypertext Novels.

EL236 

Jed Fetterman said:

I agree with you about how Kilian would see this story. The author does do a good job of keeping those little chunks, but I do not feel that he is using them as effectively as possible. Or it might be the fact that I think that a prose passage should use as much detail as possible. I really did not like something about this book (you should see some of the other comments and my blog), and I am not sure why.

Andy Lonigro said:

I wonder if the confusion or the open-endedness of this story was intended by Sorrels? I mean, depending on which hyperlinks you click, you get certain tidbits of information which help change the story in a significant way. Like you said, you may not have gotten all of the links, this is probably true for most readers. So everyone is basically getting a different story. I guess it's kind of clever if you think about it that way? Sorrels wrote a story that means something different to everyone who reads it.