A closer look at Michealangelo's David

This interactive text keeps me, as a reader and viewer, coming back for more. That is exactly what an author of any kind of literary should try to do and that is how readers should end up feeling. The Carving in Possibilities text is so different from any kind of "active literature" I have ever read. I'm not even sure what to call it.

It is interesting in the fact that, there is a new story every time. As you scroll over the statue's yet-to-be-deciphered- face, words, questions, and sentences appear. They are all in the same spots so essentially you could go over the same ones to get one story. But new sentences that you have never saw before always catch your attention before you get to the one you thought you wanted. And then starts another cluster of thoughts and ideas. I can almost feel my brain working in my head on this one.

One criticism I have to make of this piece is that the words appear so quickly. Even with the slightest movement of the mouse, it changes to another set of words. Another thing I am trying to figure out is that some of the words are in certain fonts and colors. I think they may be connected in that, they link together to form one idea of the story of the sculpture. However, as many times as I tried to put these matching fonts/colors together, I usually ended up losing them and got distracted by the other words that were popping up in my process. I also don't like that you are limited to a certain number of sentences to scroll over. The sculpture builds as your mouse moves.

I am beginning to see that this work involves more research other than what is given to me. The clip in the beginning that the other provides on the story is a starting point. But I believe there is more to this that meets the eye. (literally)

I believe you are right about the colors of the words creating some type of story. I looked at the website after reading your entry (because your blog about it interested me) and I saw a couple of sentences like "How do you know this David did not lie?" and then later I found "Is that what he told you?" in the same color and font. The idea of a sculpture of David being a liar intrigues me. How can a statue lie? (I don't know much about David from the bible though.)

But, I was upset that as soon as he was carved out I had to start over and try to piece things together again. I also see what you mean about slighty moving and different text comes up.