Krug Ch 6 pack a lunch!

So Krug was right.. this was a long chapter (and I did eat my lunch and take a few breaks in the process). But after I read the first 20 or so pages out of the 42, I realized that I didn't actually need to read everything word for word. A lot of the key concepts that he wanted to express were pretty apparant judging by the bolded words and one sentence explainations. These were the things I started to focus on. Also the use of the picture examples made it easier to envision what is was he was actually talking about. It made me feel as though I was kind of walking with him through a website.

By using this scan/read the important stuff method, the reading went by smoothly. And the content was mostly common sense at least to frequent web users. 

I'm not going to reiterate every lesson that Krug taught in this chapter because I know my peers have read it too. So the main thing I basically got out of this chapter is consistency. Consistency in:

• a navigation system
  • decision making (not just giving up right away but trying different options)
  • Links that show a different color when you have clicked on it
  • A search bar (making it easy to search for something by avoiding fancy words)
  • 'You are Here' pointers (so the user can make sure they know where to go from here)
  • Tabs (He definitely stressed the good style of tabs and their easy navigational system)
  • A home page (The user should always know how to get back to this page to start over)
  • Site ID (whether this is a picture or word or logo; something recognizable)
  • Large, Bold words (mainly that have to do with where you are within the site)
  • A title on the page you are viewing
  • The entire website (what can I say, it needs to be consistent!)

I really liked the activities on the last 4 or 5 pages provided in the book. It allowed readers to put all of the chapters important ideas into practice; that is being able to spot the good and the bad, the right and the wrong in a website. By being able to see actual websites and if they contain a site ID, a title, a home page, sections and subdivisions, etc I was able to have a clearer understanding of how and why it is a good idea to put those things (listed above) in there. And now I won't feel bad if I steal an idea off of a good website because I learned that it is better to stick with common themes of other sites so people can recognize things better.

One other thing that I got from this reading is that now, when I look at websites, I can tell what a good one and a not-so-good one look like. Period.

Here are two websites that I looked up on my own and did the tests.

Good: http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nike/en_US/ 

Not-so-good: http://www.angelfire.com/super/badwebs/  (okay so this is a little obnoxious, but funny! And it gets the point across)

EL236